SLOW AND STEADY......

3.02.2008

Time is Marching on.

I can't believe it is March already! And the year 2008! Seems like only yesterday I gave birth to my first daughter, Wheezer. She will be 13 this Tuesday and I am having a hard time with it. A teenager, for pete's sake, in my home! Me, a mom of a teenager! I miss her littleness. I miss her needing me, other than for new sneakers or a ride somewhere. I miss her wanting to help with dishes or dusting because any time she spent with me was important to her. I have great photos of her vacuuming for the first time and the joy on her face is priceless. I miss her wearing the craziest outfits with lots and lots of necklaces, bracelets, and hair do-dads AND going out in public because she thought she was, and she was, beautiful! I miss listening to the Talking Heads song "Stay Up Late" and being reminded of her. (I still am but it's different). I miss singing "Daisy, Daisy" and "You are my sunshine" and she getting thrilled as if it is the first time she's heard it not the millionth. I miss her announcing in second grade that "Itsy Bitsy Spider" was her favorite song because pop culture hadn't found her yet. I miss her, at age three still sleeping in her crib, or her cozy nest as she called it, and teaching her friends to climb into it and play Barbies with her. I miss her imaginary friend, Keisha, who lived with us from age 3 to age 6. There were times I swore Keisha really did exist! I miss, most of all, Wheezer thinking the sun rose and set on me and she wanted to be just like me when she grew up. I love her so much as she grows into a young women, but I mourn the child that is gone.

4 comments:

Femme au Foyer said...

Oh goodness--this is such a sweet and touching post! I don't have children (yet) but cannot wait to experience all of these incredible moments.

GREAT writing, BTW. Kay turned me on to your blog.

TTFN!

blog author said...

Hey Jenn!!! guess who?? :)

it's amazing how kids grow up so fast. i dont have a direct experience, but i know i'm amazed when K tells me things caleb is doing. i'm like 'how can he go on a ski trip with a group....he's only 5 still, right?? RIGHT?!" man, it's crazy. why didn't time fly this fast when i was 10 and dying to make it to Christmas?

kay said...

ah but now you get to experience that unknown world of teenagerhood. glad you are going first girl!!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.